Monday, January 12, 2009

We've Got You Backed Up!

Such a simple thing, I don't know why I didn't think of it before.


Last week I completed a project that's been on the "to do" list for quite a while -- I re-routed and tidied all the computer cords and cables at the Library's main computer center. The routing is simpler and more logical (I think), and all the cords have been tagged with their computer's number, to make troubleshooting easier.

The best part is the addition of surge protector and battery backup units for all 8 workstations. Now, instead of losing everything when the power blips (as it inevitably does during spring thunderstorms), students will have time to save their files and quit after the warning "lights out" flash. It feels pretty bad to have 8 distressed students at the computers, and not a thing I can do to help. Who knew buying time could be so cheap and easy?



No comments: