Before taking recommendations and voting for October's book, though, we went around the room with introductions. Each student gave name and grade, and the title of one (some had trouble picking just one, but that was the rule) book from summer reading that he or she would recommend to the group. What a list!
On Monday we had the first meeting of junior high reading club. We followed pretty much the same path - snacks (always snacks!!), introductions, recommendations. The student leaders had a list of proposals for October (The 5th Wave, Like No Other, Say What You Will, Stupid Fast) and after voting, Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern was declared to be our next read.
Here's the list of recommendations compiled by the junior high club members:
Yes, my misspelling of Delirium is captured for posterity. Sigh.
* Stupid Fast by Geoff Herbach
* * * Divided We Fall by Trent Reedy
* The Living by Matt de la Peña
* * The Girl in the Steel Corset by Cady Cross
* The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
* Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
* * Will Grayson Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
* Delirium by Lauren Olivier
* Deadline by Chris Crutcher
Wonder by R. J. Palacio
Black and White by Paul Volponi
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
If You Come Softly by Jacqueline Woodson
A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life by Dana Reinhardt
The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
Creeping with the Enemy by Kimberly Reid
The Door of No Return by Sarah Mussi
It's good to be back in action. Reading is FUN!
Are you in a book club? Is it fun? Comment!