Tuesday, January 16, 2018

January Update:
Baby It's Cold Outside! (but you knew that already)

Believe it or not, I've been occupied this short term co-teaching the Hip Hop Evolution class with a fine young rapper (and senior), Young Judo (aka Isaiah M). Yes, an old librarian CAN learn a new trick, and it's been pretty cool. I mostly get to expound on the political and social environments of each decade since the birth of Hip Hop in the 1970s, and also be the grownup in the room.  Since I was more on the new wave/punk/electro side of things in the 1980s, it's been fascinating to learn the parallels (and crossovers) of this musical expression that developed at the same time in African American & Hispanic communities. I heard Kraftwerk not long after Afrika Bambaataa did, but unlike me, he was smart and creative and imaginative, and sampled it into Planet Rock.  The Netflix documentary Hip Hop Evolution (clip with Grandmaster Flash here) is essential viewing, and I've also really enjoyed The Get Down (also on Netflix, a short YouTube feature with Flash is here).

I've certainly learned a TON in the past couple of weeks, with another ton (and two weeks) to go. I never did get a rapper name, though. Maybe Grandmaster Books? Suggestions welcome.

 So in the meantime, here are a couple of new developments to throw out there for you. The trailer for Love, Simon (the movie version of Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda) was released today, and Holy Cow, it works! The characters are right enough, the look is right enough. So far, I'm happy. I think it's almost possible to hold one's breath until the March theatre release (but I probably won't).

 


Electric Dreams
Something else I just learned today, related to my robotics post from December, is that Amazon Prime Video has just released a 10-part series inspired by the world of Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?  Will it be any good?  Trailer below, but you'll have to have Prime to see for yourself.




2018 is chockablock with YA book-to-movie releases.  Stay tuned!

No comments: